(This policy is already official in Debian, but
it is still work in progress. Comments are welcome.)
You will find here the Policy for integrating
spelling dictionaries and tools under the Debian system.
This page is intended for Debian developers who maintain
spelling related packages (ispell, dictionaries, wordlists, etc).
The current version of the Policy, authored by Rafael
Laboissière, David Coe, Agustín
Martín Domingo, and
is available in the following formats:
There is also a new package called dictionaries-common,
which contains the Policy and the basic utilities for
integrating ispell dictionaries with debconf, emacsen,
jed, and mutt. The latest experimental versions of this
package, along with new ispell and wordlist dictionary
packages compliant with the Policy, are available
here. Debian sources are available
from previous directory or, for old packages, from
this other. The stable
branch of this package is available at the Debian
You can also apt-get the latest experimental versions with
the following sources.list lines:
deb http://dict-common.alioth.debian.org/testing ./
deb-src http://dict-common.alioth.debian.org/testing ./
deb ftp://dict-common.alioth.debian.org/pub/dict-common ./
deb-src ftp://dict-common.alioth.debian.org/pub/dict-common ./
Repository is signed with key
Much more info about the package in Debian is available
from the Debian
A general purpose
about this system is available at the dictionaries-common
alioth project area. You can also look at the
These are the latest news related to the project:
[2009/11/25] (1.4.0) Mozilla symlinks must no longer be
set in hunspell destdir.
[2009/11/25] (1.3.0) New location for hunspell dicts and
OpenOffice hyphenation and thesaurus files.
[2009/02/16] (1.0.0) Support for hunspell dicts
[2008/11/10] (0.98.13) Add aspell support for the
squirrelmail squirrelspell interface.
- [2008/02/19] (0.96.0) Preliminary elanguages support.
- [2007/05/10] (0.81.0) Added support for squirrelmail.
- [2006/07/06] (0.70.0) Added support for CDBS.
- [2005/08/17] (0.50.0) aspell-autobuildhash makes
easier to have arch all aspell dict packages.
- [2004/07/06] (0.22.30) ispell-autobuildhash makes
easier to have arch all ispell dict packages.
- [2003/11/20] (0.16.0) New installdeb-myspell script
- [2003/06/09] The policy document now contains
information about myspell dictionaries too
- [2003/06/06] Finally all wordlists as well as aspell
and ispell dictionaries passed to testing.
- [2003/03/28] Closed the fake bug, now we are left to
the usual sid/testing cycle.
- [2002/10/30] All new style packages are already
uploaded to Debian. The system will be hold by a fake
bug report on dictionaries-common package until we are
sure that all packages can pass to 'testing' at the same
time. Currently the main problem is aspell building in
hppa architecture, that is affecting packages building
also an aspell dictionary.
- [2002/10/01] We have dates for the transition, on
Friday October 11th, bugs with severity wishlist will be
filed against IDWP and the transition will start on
Monday October 14th. (see the
final ANNOUNCE text)
- [2002/09/20] Announced the proximity of the deadline
(see the ANNOUNCE text)
with details about the procedure to follow. We expect it
for mid October.
- [2002/06/19] Sent bulletin to ispell dictionaries
and wordlists package maintainers with the latest news.
See the News Bulletin. We
now have at the sourceforge staging area ports to the
new system of all ispell dictionaries and wordlists
currently in Debian!
- [2002/06/18] The project has been announced in Debian
- [2002/06/11] Now the policy document (from 0.6.0) also
includes support for pspell-ispell modules
- [2002/05/28] The project as well as the policy
proposal have been announced to all debian users through
the debian-devel mailing list. See the
- [2002/03/01] The project as well as the policy proposal
have been announced to debian ispell dictionaries and
wordlists packages maintainers. See the